The 5 Best Foods To Eat Right Before Your Workout
Regardless of whether you work out on a weekly basis only or you are an athlete training for a competition, the food you consume can affect your performance. Eating properly gives you the edge and the energy to perform until you complete your training. Therefore, it is important that you take a pre-workout meal before engaging in any physical exertion. It is also necessary to choose the right foods to ensure that your blood sugar stays in normal condition and you are able to optimize your exercise.
With the myriad of foods recommended by nutritionists, what foods are ideal for you to take before you engage in workouts? Knowing the food to eat enables the body to perform at its peak. In choosing the best foods to take pre-workout, it is important to remember these 5 characteristics: has moderate amounts of carbohydrates and protein, low in fat, low in fiber, have lots of fluids, and are well tolerated.
Below are 5 of the best foods to eat prior to starting a workout.
- Oatmeal - This is best for morning workouts, particularly when you cannot eat a meal an hour or 2 before a workout. While oatmeal settles is light in the stomach and settles well, it provides the body with long-lasting energy. When topped with fresh fruit, the fluid content of this pre-workout snack increases, helping to keep the body hydrated.
- Whole wheat toast - This food is appropriate when you are gearing up for a physical routine because it is rich in simple and complex carbohydrates that are easy to digest and keep the body in top condition while working out. Top the whole wheat toast with slices of apple to get a boost in carbohydrates.
- Brown rice with chicken - If you prefer to work out after lunch or dinner, go for a basic meal of brown rice with chicken. This meal settles well and gives the body a good amount of carbohydrates and protein. Compared with white rice, brown rice is a much better source of complex carbohydrates.
- Fruits â€“ Fruits are rich in carbohydrates and are, therefore, ideal foods for workouts. But as there are slow-digesting and fast-digesting fruits, it is important to choose the right ones for a pre-workout diet. The best fruits to take before a workout are apples, oranges and pears since they are slow-digesting foods, which are beneficial for the body as it engages in physical exertion.
- Greek yogurt smoothie - Yogurt is easy on the stomach and can provide the energy boost needed for a workout, especially when sliced fruit is added. Make sure the Greek yogurt variety is made from milk-based proteins.
In addition, you also need to consider the time when you are going to take a pre-workout meal. The basic principle is: The less time is left until the workout, the less food should be eaten. Essentially though, the best preparation for any physical activity is a full meal two hours or more prior to working out. With lighter meals or snacks, it is ideal to eat 45 minutes to an h our prior to exercising. In addition to taking the right pre-workout meal, it is also vital to complement diet and exercise with Green Coffee Bean Extract, which is formulated with ingredients that aid in suppressing appetite, helping to regulate the diet.
Another important thing to remember is to stay hydrated throughout the workout to improve performance. Without enough water, body temperature reaches high levels that can be detrimental to the overall health. To stay hydrated throughout your routine, make sure to drink approximately 2 cups (16 ounces) of water two hours prior to exercise. Those who exercise for recreation, water can be taken for hydration. But for those who intend to work out for more than 60 minutes in a hot and humid setting, it is best to take a sports drink, which does not only provide fluid but is also rich in carbohydrates and sodium.
When you commence a workout routine, your body undergoes a process that makes it lose calories and nutrients at the same time. Since your objective is to work out, you will need to make sure that your body is up for the task. And for that to be ensured, you need an eating plan designed to support your body as it exerts effort to lose unwanted calories.